What is Plastic Vaginal Surgery?
The female reproductive system consists of the external and internal genitalia. The internal genitalia consists of the ovaries (where the eggs are produced), fallopian tubes (passages for the eggs), uterus (womb) and vagina (a passage that connects the womb to the external genitalia). The external genitalia consists of the opening for the vagina and the urinary tract, the clitoris (sexual pleasure structure) and the labia, flaps of skin that cover all these structures.
Plastic vaginal surgery may be a cosmetic or reconstructive surgery that helps to correct any structural weaknesses of the vaginal canal. There are different types of vaginal plastic surgeries which may include tightening of the lax or expanded vaginal muscles after delivery or rotating adjacent tissues to reconstruct missing parts of the vagina due to a congenital deformity.
Procedure for Plastic Vaginal Surgery
Some of the procedures involved in plastic vaginal surgeries are:
- Vaginal Rejuvenation: This is a cosmetic surgery that involves restoration of the cosmetic vaginal appearance andor function after your delivery giving birth, during which the vaginal muscles and tissues would be expanded are stretched. This procedure involves tightening the inner and outer vaginal muscles to increase their strength and control (vaginoplasty) and changing the labia appearance (labiaplasty).
- Labiaplasty: This is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves changing the shape and size of the labia. This procedure may be performed on women born with irregular labia or have developed irregularity with childbirth or aging.
- Vaginoplasty: In this surgery, the excess vaginal lining is removed and the surrounding tissues of the vagina are tightened to restore it to its original size. The vagina and surrounding tissues may have expanded during pregnancy and may not return to the normal pre-pregnancy diameter.
- Hymenoplasty: This surgery is mainly performed for cultural and religious issues. The surgery involves restoring a hymen (thin skin that covers the vaginal opening) by joining the 2 edges torn due to intercourse or any other accidental tears.
- Labia Majora Augmentation: this procedure is performed to puff up the labia by injecting fat from another part of your body to the labia so that the wrinkles are stretched. This procedure may involve risks such as infection or rejection of the fat graft.
- Vulvar Lipoplasty: this procedure is indicated to remove excess fat from the vulva using liposuction. This helps the vulva look less prominent. The major risks involved may be over or under the suctioning of fat and infection.
- G-Spot Augmentation: G-Spot is a highly erogenous spot in the vagina which enlarges on stimulation. This procedure is performed to enhance a women’s sexual pleasure by increasing the size of the G-spot by injecting substances such as collagen. However, this treatment is temporary and the effect remains for a few months after which this process needs to be repeated.
- Clitoral Hood Reduction (Hoodectomy): this procedure is performed to increase stimulation and to enhance a women’s sexual pleasure. The procedure involves reducing the skin on the hood (head) of the clitoris and hence increases sexual pleasure.
In addition to these surgeries, vaginal plastic surgery may also include medically significant surgeries such as repairing female genital cuts, treating labial hypertrophy (enlarged labia), chronic irritation and excessive production of male hormones by female ovaries.
Women’s looks in the vaginal region may have a great impact on her life with regard to her self-esteem and her sex life. These surgeries may help to restore your self-esteem and re-invent your life.