What is a Mommy Makeover?
The Mommy Makeover is a combination of treatments designed to restore your body’s shape and appearance after childbearing. It is generally a single-stage procedure that addresses issues with your waist, abdomen, breasts, buttocks, and genitalia.
What are the different types of procedures in the Mommy Makeover?
The various types of procedures that may be performed include:
- Tummy Tuck
- Breast lift
- Breast Augmentation
- Vaginal rejuvenation
- Buttock Augmentation
Indications for a Mommy Makeover
Indications for a Mommy Makeover include:
- Sagging or uneven breasts
- Loose skin and stretch marks around the belly
- Hanging tissue around your C-section incision
- Excess fat around your waist (love-handles), hips, and thighs
- Signs of premature aging in your face
Candidates for a Mommy Makeover
You may be a good candidate for a mommy makeover if:
- You have reasonably good health.
- Your body weight is within normal limits.
- You do not plan to have any more children.
- You have reasonable expectations of the procedure.
Preparing for Mommy Makeover
Specific instructions will be provided by your surgeon. In general, you should:
- Get a health checkup to clear you for the procedure.
- Inform your surgeon regarding any health conditions, allergies, and medications.
- Avoid smoking as it can slow down the healing process.
- Follow the pre-surgery dietary restrictions.
Mommy Makeover Procedure
The Mommy Makeover procedure may involve the following basic steps:
- The surgery will be performed under IV sedation or general anesthesia. The surgeon will recommend the best option for you depending on the type of surgery.
- Incisions will be made in the skin creases to avoid scar visibility.
- Excess tissue or fat will be removed or suctioned out.
- The underlying tissue either will be surgically contoured, or an implant will be inserted to obtain the desired appearance.
- The incisions will be closed in layers with sutures.
- Bandages will be applied over the incisions, and you will be transferred to the recovery room.
Recovery after Mommy Makeover
You may experience some pain and swelling at the incision site. You will be provided medications to manage these symptoms and advised regarding incision site care and bathing. An elastic bandage, support bra, or compression garment may be recommended to reduce swelling and support the tissues as they heal. Follow-up appointments with be scheduled to assess incision healing and treatment outcome after swelling has subsided.
Risks of Mommy Makeover
The Mommy Makeover is a safe procedure. However, as with any other surgery, there is a minimal risk of infection, scarring, delayed healing, failure to achieve the desired result, and altered skin sensation.